© Royal Collection Trust | Licence: All Rights Reserved
© Royal Collection Trust | Licence: All Rights Reserved

South East View of King George the 4th cottage in Windsor Great Park c. 1830

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

A watercolour of George IV's cottage in Windsor Great Park from the south east. Between 1820 and 1830 the cottage (known as Royal Lodge) was extensively remodelled under Sir Jeffry Wyatville. Here, George lived with a close circle of friends and advisors. The building was razed by order of King William IV.
Descriptive Medium: 'Pen and ink with watercolour', 'pen and ink', 'watercolour painting'

Image Licence

Image Credit

© Royal Collection Trust

From the Watercolour World

Location

Royal Lodge, Windsor, England

Country

Tags

Tww Comment

George, Prince of Wales (later King George IV), planned to rebuild Cumberland Lodge, after he had become Prince Regent. He used the Lower Lodge as temporary accommodation in 1812. Alterations and additions were undertaken by John Nash for the Prince of Wales. It was now a large and elaborate cottage in the contemporary style of the cottage orné, with thatched roofs, verandas, and a conservatory. It became known as the Prince Regent's Cottage after the prince moved into it in 1815. The renovation of Cumberland Lodge was abandoned. Additions were made after 1820. In 1823, Jeffry Wyatt (later Sir Jeffry Wyatville) succeeded Nash as architect, and the house (known now as the "King's Cottage") became known as the Royal Lodge in the late 1820s. After 1830, King William IV ordered the demolition of all of the house, except the conservatory. It became a residence again in 1840, and was used as accommodation for various officers of the Royal Household until 1843, and from 1873 to 1931. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Lodge