image © London Borough of Lambeth | Licence: All Rights Reserved
image © London Borough of Lambeth | Licence: All Rights Reserved

Tradescant's House, South Lambeth

Date

1852

Artist

Collection

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

The Tradescant family home in South Lambeth Road. Elias Ashmole lived in the house behind on the right, known as Turret House and he took a lease of the Tradescant home when Hester Tradescant died in 1678, sub-leasing the front portion it to Mr Jones. Later this section became the residence of Dr Ducarel, the Lambeth Palace Libraian and antiquarian. Much altered by the time this watercolour was executed, it became known as Stamford House and was run as a school by John Henry Hay. The sites were purchased by the builder Frederick Snelling in 1879 and redeveloped in 1880 as housing - now Tradescant and Walberswick Roads.

Image Licence

Image Credit

image © London Borough of Lambeth

From the Watercolour World

Location

South Lambeth Road, London, England

Country

Medium