Blomidon, Nova Scotia, Canada
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
The painter was Annie Florence Nightingale Beals, nee Smith 1866-1954. She attended Acadia Ladies Seminary in Wolfville, where she found her interest in painting. She married Rev. Francis Harris Parker Beals, and had four children. She painted landscapes in watercolour during her long life and taught her daughter the same skills. Many of her watercolours have been hung in buildings on the Acadia Campus. This is a watercolour landscape of the village of Port Williams, seen across fields. Cape Blomidon is in the background. On top of the hill behind the village is a red apple barn. To the left is the Baptist Church, and in front and a bit to the left is the Temperance Hall. The yellow buildings on the main street are stores. There are grey warehouses at the port behind the bridge. The bridge was built over the Cornwallis River in 1885. There are three staddles with salt-grass hay piled on top of them on the dyked field. The dyke and the pastures in the foreground are part of the Bishop's farm. The painting was found stored, matted but unframed, in the bottom drawer of the desk in the back parlour of Randall House. It was framed and glassed in 1993. The donor was the daughter of the artist, and an accomplished artist herself. She was head of the Acadia Department of Art from 1945 to 1963.
In pencil in lower right corner: A.F.Beals.
Medium: Paper; watercolour
For full details please visit the collection website.