Image © The Royal Irish Academy (RIA). Reproduction, publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Royal Irish Academy. For permission, please contact [email protected] | Licence: All Rights Reserved
Image © The Royal Irish Academy (RIA). Reproduction, publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Royal Irish Academy. For permission, please contact [email protected] | Licence: All Rights Reserved

View of the Abbey of Bective, on the banks of the River Boyne, county of E[ast] Meath, 24 miles from Dublin

Date

ca. 1780-1800

Collective Title

Rambles thro' the county of Dublin and some others in Ireland

Collection

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

A view of south and east sides of the remains of Bective Abbey, Co. Meath. Two men, wearing hats and carrying sticks stand beside a tall tree in the foreground; man to the left looks upon the Abbey ruins while man on the right points to the east.

Additional Description: Bective Abbey was founded in 1147 for the Cistercian Order by Murchad O'Maeil- Sheachlainn, King of Meath. It was Ireland's second Cistercian Abbey; a ‘daughter house' to nearby Mellifont. The outside wall of the chapter house, shown on the right of the picture is among the oldest surviving sections of the building, dating from the late 13th century. Most of the south side of the Abbey in the drawing is the result of remodelling undertaken in the 15th and 16th centuries.
Original Accession: 3 C 31/3

Image Licence

Image Credit

Image © The Royal Irish Academy (RIA). Reproduction, publication, transmission or display is prohibited without formal written approval of the Royal Irish Academy. For permission, please contact [email protected]

From the Watercolour World

Location

Bective Abbey, Bective, County Meath, Republic of Ireland

Medium