Dalkey Castle, Dalkey, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland
A bodycolour drawing of the North Terrace of Windsor Castle from the west, showing the Queen Elizabeth's Gallery and the lantern window. Several groups of figures in costume of the early nineteenth century. Sandby exhibited another version of 'The Terrace of Windsor looking eastward' at the Royal Academy in 1774, and returned to the subject many times throughout his career. He published an aquatint of the subject on 1 September 1776.
Sandby made many watercolours, drawings and bodycolours of the North Terrace, looking both east and west, from the 1760s until his death. The appearance of the terrace, described in contemporary guidebooks as 'the noblest walk in Europe' (Joseph Pote, Les Delices de Windsore, 1763), has changed little since the eighteenth century. The Queen Elizabeth Gallery today houses the Royal Library. The buildings were remodelled by Sir Jeffry Wyatville in the nineteenth century.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]